Saturday, November 6, 2010

With Apologies To The Great Pumkin

It's been a while since I updated my blog. I've been really struggling with work and school of late, however I have learned one valuable lesson from all of this: NEVER sign up for early morning classes if your aren't a morning person!
I'm shocked I haven't flunked out of my morning class already, I must be doing something right apart from staring at my attractive teacher's ass all day long.

Political incorrectness aside I've been really busy for the last seven weeks. I have managed to keep connected through Twitter so it isn't like I dropped off the face of the earth.

I just never thought of coming here and spending my valuable time writing about nothing, which is what I do when I write anything up here.

My writing has come to a sort of impasse at this point as my mind focuses on my one novel and nothing else. The creative writing course I'm taking has really opened my eyes to many things about my writing (while not actually teaching me anything new at the same time. It's funny how a creative WRITING course can have more reading than writing). One thing I realized is that I habitually sabotage myself in my own writing. Either by procrastinating or abandoning an idea for a new one (seriously I've dropped so many ideas in my day I could be considered the Hugh Hefner of ideas), you name it I do it and it doesn't help me one bit.

So I've made a resolution for myself that during my winter vacation I will set aside a good number of hours to write as much as I possibly can for one story idea and that story alone. It may sound impossible, but I intend on having a fully finished or at least near finished manuscript by the end of the year. I might not like the idea by the time I'm done but at least I can say I finished a story.

Now with that out of the way I'd like to cover what has been happening in my life since the last I spoke with the empty space that is anyone who actually reads this schlock.

As I said before, I've been bogged down with schoolwork. When I'm not sleeping, eating, or suffering a minor psychotic episode, I'm at school or doing homework. The sad thing is that I know I could've chosen better classes. I need to remember that "Recommended" isn't a synonym for "required." I have been choosing the lowest level classes because every class that actually would further my knowledge of math, science, and the universe in general are far too high and it is "recommended" that I take lower level classes before advancing to these ones. However, I keep forgetting that unlike most of the other students on campus, I actually went through the seventh circle of hell that is high school.

Thus the reason why I'm taking a Biology 101 class where we draw diagrams of animal cells and act as if we haven't stepped foot in a science class since 1985. Most of the students in the class don't even know the cell cycle as well as I do. The only problem is that this class starts at eight in the morning and ends at eleven. Compounding this fact is the fact that I hate mornings and when I find myself awake before nine in the morning I am more or less mentally handicapped. The fact that the class in three hours long for no apparent reason apart from the theory that Satan himself runs the school only makes things worse. So on a good morning, I am slightly equal with the rest of the class (most of whom haven't taken a science class in twenty years). However I have learned from my mistakes and am now signing up for later classes that aren't at the top of the lists.

Of course all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I have managed to find an outlet for my frustrations apart from habitual masturbation. When my three day weekend begins (as I have composed my schedule to leave Friday free for work or fun) I slaughter zombies on Dead Rising 2. I've found the continual dismemberment of millions of zombies to be quite therapeutic (so much for violent video games causing violence eh?). However, I have shifted from zombies to post-apocalyptic Vegas in Fallout New Vegas of which I intend on writing a review for in the following weeks.

Then there are movies. The ones I have gone to see in the last few weeks have been Inception and Paranormal Activity 2. I've watched Inception three times now, and I haven't grown tired of it yet. It's just that great of a movie. It's the kind of movie you don't see anymore, a creative, original, and emotional movie that never fails to entertain.
Then there's Paranormal Activity 2, which never ceases to scare the living piss out of me. It's a great movie in it's own right. But I only watched it once because I don't need to be suffering anymore sleepless nights.

And then there was the Halloween party my parents threw over the weekend. I spent most of the night scaring trick-or-treaters with my friends well far away from the party as most of the people there were friends of my brother's girlfriend, of whom I thoroughly dislike for many reasons I wish not to get into at the moment. All I will say is that that girl has the whole house under her control and I'm only thankful that I don't have to deal with it in my own life every damn day. I do however feel bad for my brother, he's the one who will end up in the difficult situation if this relationship of theirs progresses (a relationship I consider more parasitic in nature than anything else).

Now I am eagerly awaiting the end of my first term this year so I can start working on my manuscript. No doubt the day I walk out of my last class after finishing Finals Week I will feel a heavy weight come off of my shoulders...

Well that's it for now, I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween and will have a fantastic Thanksgiving. Keep an eye out for my Fallout New Vegas review, because I know I have a few words to mince with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment